Lake Eufaula Information
Located on the Canadian River near the town of Eufaula, Lake Eufaula covers parts of McIntosh County, Pittsburg, Haskell and Okmulgee counties. The lake drains 47,522 square miles from Canadian, North Fork Canadian and Deep Fork rivers. As the largest lake in, Oklahoma, Lake Eufaula contains 3,798,000,000 acre feet, a surface area of 102,000 acres and 600 miles of shoreline.
Congress approved construction of the dam and lake in 1946 to provide flood control, hydroelectric power, water supply, navigation and recreation. The U. S. Army Corps of Engineers began construction of the 975 meter-long (3,199 feet) Eufaula Dam wall began in 1956 and was completed in 1964. President Lyndon B. Johnson came to Oklahoma to dedicate the dam on September 25, 1964. The dam holds back a lake area of over 159 sq mi. The hydroelectric power station was designed to provide 90,000 kilowatts of electric power from the lake waters.
Standing Rock, the historic landmark in the middle of the Canadian river about two miles below the junction of the North and South Canadians is now covered by the waters of Lake Eufaula. When the lake full at 585 feet, the top of the huge upright rock is approximately 25 feet below the surface.
A well-known tournament lake, Lake Eufaula draws anglers from across the United States to test their skills at catching largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, Kentucky bass, crappie, catfish, sandbass, stripers (below the dam), and other species. Other activities at Lake Eufaula include boating, swimming, hiking, hunting, golfing and horseback riding. Picnic areas are scattered throughout the area. Facilities include marinas, boat ramps, swim beaches, tent and RV campsites, cabins, group shelters, restrooms, showers and an enclosed fishing dock.
Oklahoma created two state parks, Arrowhead and Fountainhead, to provide recreational activities and camping facilities at the lake. The state borrowed $8 million from the Federal government to build a lodge at each park. However, the lodges did not provide enough money to repay the loan, so ownership reverted to the Federal government. In 1986, the U.S. Economic Administration sold Arrowhead Lodge to the Choctaw Nation and Fountainhead Lodge to a group of private investors.